Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Will You Do The Work?

My back is still a mess and I'm just not able to put in 12 hours of steady hard manual labor, the exact type that was needed to add my two new 22' beds. I had to remove approximately 400 sq. ft. of sod, double dig the dirt, amend with compost and manure as well as fill dirt.

I decided I would get a day laborer to help with the majority of the work and I would focus on planting, mixing amendments, fertilizing, etc. As you will see in the below Craigslist ad, I have hired illegal aliens (I have ZERO problem with that term - it's and accurate legal term) in the past and it's always worked well for me. This time I thought I'd try something different.


Craigslist ad - click to view full size version, it's easier to read


I fully expected to receive negative responses as well as positive ones.  I figured there would be people calling me a racist or a hypocrite or a "tea bagger" or god, who knows what.

However what I received was nothing but positive, albeit not exactly supportive, responses from wide variety of people, races, and gender!  Only one post came close to having a bit of attitude but even that wasn't aggressive or combative.  Below are some choice responses.

hey there my name is [redacted] im 19 almost 20 im a freshman in college so i need to make some cash im a hard worker and ima strong and hard working guyand  i am a citizen
thanks and looking forward to hear form you.
This is exactly the type of person I'd like to give the work to:


I am a legal citizen in the military, I do need extra cash and I am Hispanic. The job sounds stereotypical but I don't care (haha). The only day I'd actually be able to help is on Saturday, if this sounds good to you please send me an email. Thanks and have a nice day.
Military guy, would be GREAT to put some money in his pocket:


This is a awesome ad! What you say is right too. My name is [redacted] I am
willing to do some hard work for cash! If you think a woman can do this job then
give me a call at [redacted]. Thank you 
I guess this could be considered supportive:


Hello,

I read your ad and definietely agreed with what you had to say.  I am a female carpenter with over 15 years experience doing various remodels and rehabs.  I have been looking for work now for some time.  I spend a lot of time with sending resumes, etc. but in the end I find that most ads that are placed are ads that are placed in various states, only wanting to gather as much information as they can about someone.  I highly doubt that most of the jobs advertised under "gigs" even exist.

Anyway, I am interested in the manual labor you are requiring.  I would be interested in further discussing if you would like.  Feel free to contact me at [redacted].  If I don't answer please leave me a message and I will call you back.

Thanks. 
I'm not sure what the first part of this is all about, but a female carpenter with 15 years experience?  Damn...


Hi! I ran across your ad and I'm interested in the job.
First off, yes I'm a girl but I am strong and very capable of manual
labor. In fact, I very much enjoy manual labor.
I've worked as a theatrical lighting intern for the past 3 years and
because of that I am used to lifting heavy equipment and working hard
until the job's done. I have also worked as a gardener/landscaper for
a realty company as a summer job.
I work very hard and am usually the last one to stop working.
I take direction very well and work very well with others.
My only concern is when this job takes place. What day are you looking
to have this job done?
Thank you.
[redacted] 
This one is my favorite I think, just a great attitude.  Of course I also wondered if she was some cool, cute girl that was into gardening and making stuff!  :)

ok well me and my partner are interested in this job. we are in good shape and ready to do this!!! when can we start??? if any questions fill free to call. .
thanks for your time.
 
Pretty bold response

So all in all the responses thus far have been good.  I'll post later about how the job/day ended up and how the worker I selected performed compared to my historical experience with day laborers.
 

No comments: