Monday, May 16, 2011

Chores and Experiments

My Crop Lifecycle Record is working well, you can see the
tag that corresponds to the log entry

My feelings towards my micro farm have been a little blue lately.  I've noticed that tasks that should be enjoyable were instead irritating me!  Now I can be pretty tightly wound sometimes, so "getting annoyed" isn't a shocker, but farming?  Farming is annoying?  No, it's not but trying to do too much with too little time is and I suspect that's the real issue lately; my day job is demanding extra from me, it's my priority so I oblige while simultaneously being pulled to the garden to keep things going.

I'm not complaining, just talkin' it out, makes me feel better.  I made a conscious effort Today to let go of my regular work baggage, relax and get my mind into the farm, into the dirt and the plants.  It worked and I accomplished quite a bit in the few precious hours I was able to commit, singly to my gardening and without distractions.

I picked up some more fish and kelp fertilizer for my tomatoes. I have bone meal which would have been a good phosphorous source but I didn't want to hit them with a combo of things, I'll wait and see how the fish emulsion does first.  While at Orange County Farm Supply I also picked up some 1/4" micro irrigation plugs and a single tine cultivator that I've wanted for months!

1 mo. old carrots recently mulched with
straw.  I used a real think layer because I
also sowed rows of green onions between
the carrots Today and I want them to push through
I've said in the past that I'm an excessive waterer (nice!) and it's true, I am but I also tend to be negligent and FORGET to water sometimes.  Same ol' deal with not having the time to focus on gardening enough, too be consistent with things.  I thought I'd try out some straw mulch on various crops, it should buy me some time when I forget to water or a heat spell comes through.  I mulched around existing crops (beans, onions) and also mulched over some newly sown seeds - this is the experiment, to see if the seedlings will push through the mulch.  I mulched a couple of newly sown rows of carrots as well, it's a risky experiment because it could be that the seedlings never push through and I'll have wasted the seed and time.

Oh yeah, Chui got shaved ;)
I've really go to be consistent about keeping Chui out of the growing area.  90% of the time he's a good boy and just lays down, but if something gets him excited he will run right across the beds, smashing whatever happens to be under his paws.  Then I get pissed off, he gets bummed, thinks he's in big trouble - it's all very unfortunate and better avoided.  No dogs allowed.



My new favorite tool, the single tine cultivator
Quick List:
  • Mulched beans in EW4
  • Pulled Chard from West end of EW1 due to damping off and weak seedlings
  • Sowed (2) 7' rows of :Purple Haze" carrots in place of the chard
  • Weeded around the beds, pulled sod clumps
  • Installed crop tags with "Crop ID" (CID) on them
  • Supplement-sowed "Provider" bush beans in the East end of EW1 where I had poor germination and some pest issues.  Hopefully the supplemental sowings will see 100% germination
  • Sowed "Red Orach" in the North end of NS2, (3) 3' rows
  • Set out 10 buckets and a trash can to collect the rain water from the storm(s) that should be coming Tonight through Wednesday

No comments: