Monday, May 30, 2011

Trellis Wrap Up

last of the trellises installed in ES7 & EW8.  It's real difficult to pound
those posts 2' into the ground and also keep them plum, so if you look
down the line it's pretty wobbly
Spent the entire day outside in the yard finishing up the trellises and installing irrigation lines EW7 & EW8 (the new tomato beds).  My arm was shot from swinging the sledge hammer to drive in the posts and in fact I was starting to get sloppy and mangle the edges and corners.  I picked up a fence post driver to finish off the last of them, figured it's a good investment, the type of tool you have your whole life.





Ran about 6' of funny pipe from a nearby stubbed out
sprinkler.  Funny pipe is the greatest stuff!  Here you see
the funny pipe connected to a pressure regulator with
the 1/2" irrigation line hoop for 1/4" lateral lines.  The 1/2"
irrigation line goes back under the surface to the bed to
the left.


Programmed and tested the irrigation controller to water the beds every three days for 15 minutes.  I'm planning on leaving town the rest of this week so won't be here to water - it's about time I put the drop lines to use.  I also installed some plastic mesh around NS1 to keep the cat (I found cat shit so I'm assuming my recent pest is a cat) out of the bed.

  • repaired punctured 1/2" drip line in the North end of NS2
  • installed the twine for tomatoes in EW7 but didn't yet fasten to plants
  • fixed leaky plug cap on RB1 1/2" drip line




Freebie Tip!  Paint stir sticks make great crop tags/stakes.  In two trips to Home Depot I've acquired more than 30 of them and of course they are free.  If the drooler in the pain department says anything just tell him you forgot to grab some when you picked up the 20 gallons or pain earlier.  "Oh, sorry.. is there a charge?" - there isn't, but the mere fact you ask will turn things around.

Johnny's charges $59.95 for 100 wooden stakes or $0.59 each!  What a rip!  Based on $0.59 each my ~30 stir sticks saved me about $17.00.  To be honest, it's less about saving money and more about sticking it to Home Depot for all the annoying experiences (14 registers with only one open) and low level morons ("oh, uhmm, this isn't my department" he says while quickly walking away from me to find another isle to hide and piss away his 8 hours)  I've had to deal with while shopping there.

No comments: