Thursday, May 12, 2011

Crop Lifecycle Worksheet

I took a few minutes and banged out a quick first revision of the "Crop Lifecycle Worksheet" that I've been talking about.  I didn't fret too much when designing this, figured I'd take a iterative approach and refine it often as I discover deficiencies and identify new requirements.

I added a blank row in-between just about every "known event" to give myself a little wiggle room to record unanticipated events (e.g. fertilize, 3rd thinning, etc)  Events with specific note details are represented with a sub-field in the main "Notes" field (e.g. "Spacing" on the "Thinning" events).

In a couple days I hope to make myself a stiff drink, turn the radio up and back-log some of my more recent crops.  I went ahead and did two Tonight just to test things out - so far so good!

The Excel 2010 file can be downloaded here:
https://sites.google.com/site/steveklett/CropLifecycleWorksheet.xlsx?attredirects=0&d=1

  • Sowed (8) 4' rows of carrots (Vitana (2662.11)) in RB1
  • Used doubled-up layer of screen cloth to mulch the carrot seeds to assist with germination
  • Sowed (3) 3' rows of Arugula in the North end of NS1 - I spaced this out so that I can do two additional succession plantings for a total of 9' of arugula.  If my calculations are correct this should result in a constant cycle of arugula as it matures in 38 days.  With a two week succession cycle my initial planting should be ready when I'm pulling out the last of the third - we'll see

2 comments:

Dirt Gently said...

Interesting. Have you looked into software or Web sites that track gardening information and milestones? I'm using a combination of both homebrewed spreadsheets, my blog, and MyFolia.com for this; no one method has been entirely satisfactory to me yet.

Scuba Steve said...

I haven't really looked into any specific apps, I did a cursory Google search but didn't come up with much. I was unaware of myfolia.com and it looks interesting, I haven't signed up yet but may give it a spin.

The intention of the worksheet is to have a place to record the data until I find (or create) something better.

I noticed you're in Montreal, I lived there for a while working for a company called Softimage which created 3D Animation software. Great city, one of my favorites!