Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tomato Rescue

transplanted real deep, about 8 inches down.  Once they begin to grow a
bit I will trim off the lower branches to reduce the chance of soil born
disease and pests.
Transplanted17 various tomato plants into EW2 (north half).  I say various not because I desire variety or intra-bed mixing but because I'm an idiot and I mixed them all up one day and now can't tell which is which.  I have 6 different species of tomatoes and I honestly can't tell them apart.  So... it'll be a surprise, like having a baby and not finding out the sex.  Just like that.

We had about 1/10" of rain last night and I setup 10 buckets and a (clean) trash can under the drip line of my back patio cover.  After combining the rain contents all the buckets into the trash can I'd say I scored about 28 gallons of rain water.  I've been reading lately that the chlorine or, more likely, chloramine (ammonia and chlorine - yay!) may not be the best thing for plants, especially food crops and young ones at that.  I'm not about to run out and install a filter or anything, but if I can catch some rain water I figure it's an easy way to give the plants a fresh drink of good ol', straight up water.  Of course there is the residue from the roof which for all I know is asbestos based or something - You can't win!

I pulled the last of my first golden beets, combined with a zucchini and a few green onions made a nice side dish for dinner.  I sauteed the beat tops and threw in four zucchini blossoms.  Pretty tasty and about as fresh as you can get.

No comments: