Wednesday, May 18, 2011

All Be Damned...

Capturing rain water actually makes sense, I was able to collect more than 35 gallons from a combined 2/5th of an inch of rain off of one small patio cover.  I figured out the math to determine my total potential based on my "collectible roof area" and my region's annual average rainfall.  For this post I will just use said patio cover for the  example.

  • The patio measures 17'W x 11'D for an area of 187 sq. ft. or 26,928 sq. in.
  • The average rainfall in my zipcode (92866) is 12.6".
  • 1 gallon is equal to 231 cu. in.
  • If you take the roof area of 26,928 sq. in. multiplied by the average rainfall of 12.6" you get a whopping 339,293 cu. in. of annual water hitting that roof.
  • Divide that by the 231 cu. in. in a gallon and you end up with a juicy 1,468.8 gallons a year off that one little patio cover!
Using the ~2/5" of rain in the last 48 hours, I can plug that into the formula and get 46 gallons which isn't too terribly off from the 35 gallons I claim to have collected.  Factor in that I'm not collecting 100% of the runoff and I consider that to largely be a validation of the formula.

Based on that I think I may just rig up some tanks and gutters for next winter.

In other news, I harvested a couple handfulls of beans and they taste alright, nothing too exciting to be honest.  I'm hoping the cool weather is contributing to bland flavors.  I read that you should try to harvest everyday to keep the crop producing, so like a good student I'm doing as I'm told.  The tomatoes that I put in the ground look quite healthy, they've perked up a bit and, now this could be in my head, look to be deeper green in color!!

2 comments:

Amy Andrychowicz said...

Hi,
I found your blog on the GardenWeb blog roll list. Wow, great calculations. It's amazing how much water comes off the roof when it rains! I have two 55 gallon rain barrels and they fill up in a matter of minutes even during a light rain. Looking forward to seeing more from your gardens, I'll have to explore your blog more.

Amy

Scuba Steve said...

I was surprised too and really am thinking seriously about ways to collect as much as possible. I used the 35 gallons to water all my seedlings, lasted probably a week or so - not bad!