Thursday, January 19, 2012

Spinach Succession Sowing

First planting (1/9/12) of red cardinal with ~95% germination
Bad day Today at work, a little yard work was a welcome change of pace.  I'm late with my second Red Cardinal succession planting so I took care of that - sowed another 3' of 4 rows, straddling the drip lines this time rather than aligning next to them.  My little cheapo seed spreader tool from Johnny's continues to make sowing a cinch.  It's nice to have a cheap tool that does what it's supposed to.

I steal pain mixers from Home Depot!

Also sowed 4 rows of carrots in NS1 bed.  Created 3' long furrows with the edge of 1x5 board.  Like my spinach the rows were set between the drip lines.  2 Rows of vitana, 1 row nelson and a final purple haze row.  This is a bit early to start carrots I think, but we've had a mild winter so I may get lucky.  I used a thrice folded blanket of weed screen to act as a temporary mulch as carrots are a real pain in the ass to get started - VERY fussy about drying out, you've gotta keep em' wet.

Spread some straw between the rows that I've reformed to cut back on the mud.  There's a good storm coming in Tomorrow night so having a dry-ish, or at least mudless path will be nice.




No comments: