Monday, January 02, 2012

Makin' room

Compost area is impacted, overwhelmed
Cleaning up the yard is generating a lot of waste, organic, compostable waste and I can't stand to throw it out.  Problem is just like the rest of the yard my compost operations have stalled out, I was stuck with 4 separate piles/bins in various stages of completion, all needing attention.  Working compost is a back buster so I only put in 2-3 hours on it.

This would be considered a small-medium size grub
As I've mentioned before, neglected compost can become infested with beetle grubs; disgusting, squishy, fat, blak-goo filled giant grubs.  I hate them, I hate seeing them, I hate reaching in to compost and spearing one with my finger and feeling it's guts coat my finger and worst of all - I hate when they grow into beetles and eat my trees and crops.

Collection and extermination is punishment for not staying on top of my compost duties.  Killing is typically accomplished by throwing (one at a time) against the wall where they explode on impact - I've also talked about this before.  However I've learned that Chui likes to eat their guts and then later, usually.... around 3-4am likes to vomit it back up in the house somewhere.  No more wall smashing (well maybe one more time, I want to try capturing it on high speed camera)

Here's a video of about an hours worth of collected grubs.  Sick.



Chui for scale
 Processed 5-6 loads of finished compost from one bin - 9 months ago this was grass, egg cartons, dog hair, melons, etc.  It never gets old, I mean look at all that homemade compost!

No comments: