Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hot and Windy - PERFECT for my seedling winter crops

It was 80+ Today with Santa Ana winds blowing like mad.  I had a pretty substantial hangover so I was looking forward to busting my butt doing some yard work.  Decided to overhaul my compost piles and shred everything up.  I thought I was pretty good at managing compost but I'm not and that makes me sort of sad.  It's not fun to think you are good at something and then face the reality that indeed you suck at it.  Maybe I'm being too hard on myself, but my current compost batches are cold and lame.

To try to get back on my composting high-horse I broke down the pile I just created a couple weeks ago and ran it all through the shredder (including grubs - great fun).  Plan is to remix the contents and hopefully get a nice hot pile going.  My back was sore so I took a Vicodin early and I must say the combination of working with compost while having a slight Vicodin buzz is a pretty good way to spend a Saturday in the yard.


Picked up my special order of 6' chicken wire and will be setting up another bed for peas.  Pea crops don't make efficient use of the beds as you can only have a single row of plants - to have more rows would make harvesting difficult and deprive one of the rows of sunlight.  I will try to companion plant another crop with the peas.

No comments: