Saturday, January 21, 2012

Just What I Needed

Storm came, most of it wrapped up by 9am leaving my frantically observing it's demise on the increasingly colorless Doppler images; I would have loved a full day of rain.  Interestingly, I received just about the exact amount of rain I needed to fill my rain water containers.  As I mentioned Yesterday I calculated .82" was needed and it looks like we received .88".

Blue sky :|
Hitting your number is nice, but my strategy was nonetheless flawed; I was considering the sum of capacity using a formula that assumes equal distribution across all the containers - but they aren't all the same size (of course) nor do they present a collection area equally proportionate to their capacity.  This means the little ones were overflowing and the big ones remained unsatisfied.  The required rainfall was still correct but I would have needed to dump the smaller vessels into the larger ones to fill everything up.  Oh well, all the more reason for a catch tank and gutter setup.

Finally at 12:30 I couldn't deny the fact that the storm had passed and the sun was out.  I was tired of sitting on my ass writing code anyway so I went out and checked on the farm and worked bed EW3 (reformed, weeded, added 3" compost, level).  The bed is now ready for a crop, although I'm not sure what I will do.  I could do more spinach, peas, lettuce - but I've done carrots and chard.  Gonna research if there are any other cool season crops I may want to do over there.

BedWork 2012 (!)
After 8 months of nothing
30 minutes of weeding, rake-forming, amending
and leveling

No comments: