Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chipper Fix

Impeller showing the 4 flail blades (think about"flailing
your arms" and you should understand) and the center
blade with both outer bolts removed.
I don't think I mentioned this before, but the last time I used my chipper it made a terrible loud crash sound, then a violent rattling as if a rock or something was stuck in the chipper area.  It was the end of the day, I was tired and now pissed about the noise so I shut it down and drank a beer.  A couple days later I could see that one of the outer bolts that attach the cutting blade to the main flywheel was missing.  Today I took it apart real quick and could see that the bolt sheared right off!  I'm assuming it was weakened through the years of use, high temperature stripping when I rebuilt it, the re-plating and finally being installed and torqued when reassembled.  A quick trip to the hardware store, $0.96 and 35 minutes later and the problem was solved with new hardware.  I can now shred some much needed greens to get my compost going!

This was a grassy field of weeds and grass n' stuff until
I torched it!
Spent the last 10 minutes with some more torch time, I've just about hit every weed that I can safely get to, and then some.  It looks ugly now, but after being walked on, rained on and a couple windy days it will look fine.  See all that fig on that back wall?  Going to the chipper!

No comments: