Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Grub Disposal and Processing Unit

"unit" doesn't really make sense,... I mean, I guess it could work if you think of it as a resource of a larger operation, like "We have three separate units for processing waste" - that is so ambiguous that it could really describe anything "waste processing" related.  I will pretend I'm a large enterprise and will stick with "unit" because it makes a better title.

BTW, before I forget: Yes, grubs are benneficial to the composting process and I don't pick them out from a still decomposing pile, it's only when I do my final screening that I hand pluck them out (their work is done)


I know, what am I talking about, right?  Yesterday I covered my grub problem and discussed not only my typical disposal methods, but more importantly the problem I have with Chui eating their guts.
Then it hit me: Neighbor Pam has 10 chickens and I remember reading that chickens go fuckin' nuts over grubs - it's perfect!  I can feed the chickens (whose eggs I do occasionally enjoy), dispose of grubs without exposing Chui to by product, I just toss them over the wall (super easy) and my favorite - it's a terrible way to DIE!
Here's a video of me tossing a few handfulls (yes, I touch them) over the wall, as I zoom in you can see a couple get shredded by the savage fowl:


Nice new pile, thermometer is in place and I plan to log
the temps over the next couple weeks so I can
plot the progress

I processed more compost, cleared out one pile and rebuilt it with fresh stuff pulled from the garden (peppers, weeds, arugula, etc.)  Washed down a bit and already feeling better about how things are looking in the compost area.  The fields (ha!) are looking better and better too.

Compared to the pictures from less than a week ago it's really shaping up.

No comments: