Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Circle is Complete

As I've mentioned, Pam has 10 hens that I've been feeding my compost grubs to, as well as carrot tops and beet tops.  I thought they should give back something so I asked Pam for a bucket of their manure to add to my compost the next time she cleans out the coop.  She also dropped off some sunflowers she pulled and I ran those along with old carrots, onions and beets through the shredder to make a nice nitrogen booster shot for my compost in the tumbler.

That's right, I forgot to mention that I've giving the Compost Tumbler another shot at life.  I came across one of their ads that said "Finished compost in 14 days" and I thought "yeah, bullshit!" but then it went on to say that you should turn it every single day and you will have compost in 14 days.  Every single day - I hadn't done that before, once (if at all) it reached temperature I would leave it alone.  This time I will try it the way they say, I will rotate the drum every day and see what happens.  Would be great if I could find success with it.

Kevin came over and we both worked to fix the lights that are hanging from my trees.  They were too low and people less height challenged as myself would walk into them.  For the record, Kevin broke two bulbs.  Also burned some more sticks and twigs to create some clean ash to use in the compost.  I figured it was better than throwing it in the trash and I don't need browns for the compost and fire is fun and I had been drinking beer for a few hours and it just seemed like fun.

Cleaned up the EW1 and EW2 beds, spread 2" compost and worked it in.  Then Kevin sowed buckwheat seeds for a cover crop and covered with another 1/2" of compost.  Beds look good, will be nice to see something growing on them again.

No comments: