Sunday, January 22, 2012

Shred!


Shredded the life out of more of Pam's sunflowers as well as some old carrots that were still in the raised bed.  Normally I wouldn't drag out the machine for such a small batch but I needed to add more greens to the compost tumbler.  We have another storm coming in so I readied the rain catchers and flushed out the rain gauge to get a fresh read.

snap peas sown in 1" furrow with wood ash
Sowed snap peas in 8' double rows in bed EW3.  Dragged a furrow with the single tine cultivator, dusted with wood ash, dropped a seed every 1-1/5" then covered back up.  This was all done very haphazardly for some reason, I think my heart just wasn't in it.  Actually now that I think about it what set me on the wrong track from the get-go is that I wasn't happy with my trellis solution.  See I've had these trellises rolled up in storage since last year and I wasn't excited to use them because they didn't work all that hot:
  1. Not long enough (too many posts required)
  2. The plastic mesh is irritating to work with, too springy
  3. The bottom border of the mesh needed to be anchored down with spikes or else it would blow in the wind like a damn sheet
I'd considered using chicken wire which would address all of the above gripes, but I can't find chicken wire in wide enough rolls - I want 72" (6') rolls.  Anyway, that's it, it was the trellis that soiled my mood I think.  I'm going to Ace Hardware later and ask if they can special order chicken wire in the desired width.

No comments: