Monday, April 25, 2011

Movin' On Up!

Bought 60 3" (I think, maybe 4") pots to pot-up my tomatoes to.  I've once again noticed that the organic pots that allow the roots to penetrate result in reduced plant growth.  When I last potted up my tomatoes I transferred from a cell sheet to the organic pots, however I left about 5 or 6 plants in the cells... for no particular reason.  Anyway, when I did this most recent transplant I noticed that the plants there were left in the cells were considerably larger than the ones transplanted to the organic pots.  After some inspection and thought I concluded (again) that when the roots penetrate the organic pot and are exposed to air the plant goes "oh shit!" and stops growing, meanwhile the plant in the cell has it's roots running around in circles making a balled mess but the plant still thinks it should be growing.

While a root-bound plant is a bad thing I think if you manage it appropriately it's better than a plant that prematurely throws on the brakes.

In summary: organic pots are bad, or rather pots that allow root penetration are bad.  Of course there are exceptions, there always are...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Steve for the amazing produce. I'm in awe of how hard you work & so lucky getting to taste the payoff. So, last night I sauteed some mustard, chard and another green (don't remember the names of them all by looks) with olive oil, onion & garlic. I was warned that the mustard was spicy so I was most excited to taste that one. I didn't think it was bitter at all & it was pretty peppery. I loved it!! Loved it all for that matter, esp because I was watching NKOTB on TV as I enjoyed my dinner. I brought some spinach, escarole & chard to work with me to make a salad for lunch. Its so nice to have veggies that only require a quick rince to remove a little left over dirt & ready to eat. I look forward to tasting the beets & carrots I have waiting for me at home... Thanks again Steve!!

Scuba Steve said...

Wow, that's a hell of a nice review! Glad you're liking the product, I'll keep growing more ;0)