Saturday, April 23, 2011

First Harvest Box

I've been chatting about gardening, ag chemicals, organic methods, etc. with my physical therapist that is helping me with my back correction, actually there are two PTs but Steve is the one that I spend the most time with.  Anyway, I mentioned I could bring him in some stuff as I was already planning to harvest this weekend.  With my appointment in 1 hour I went out and harvested some whole plants, rinsed and bundled them up.  It's the first time I've been through this process and I really enjoyed it, much more satisfying than cut and come again techniques.

I can see myself doing this on a larger scale.

Observations:
  1. Bundling with twine looks cool, but is more time consuming that twist ties, plus I can't brand twine!  ;)
  2. The spinach leaves want to crack and break when I wrap around them, consider bundling around the stems instead
  3. I need a washing setup out back, I'm thinking an old stainless washing station from a restaurant then collect the rinse water and use to water plants and or hydrate the compost
  4. Need boxes to place produce in, don't want to use bags as I think it looks cheap.  I think I can scavenge boxes from produce markets, edible arrangements, juice stop, etc.
  5. Escarole harvest nicely as a whole plant

No comments: