Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Citrus Traps

I might as well point out what we have in this photo (Left to Right):
  • Red Mustard
  • Tatsoi
  • Escarole
  • Endive
The wet newspaper trap was a failure, but I'm still confident in the strategy.  I've read and/or bed told that pill bugs and earwigs (my new #2 foe) will be attracted to citrus and melon rinds, especially if turned face down.  As I understand it they are drawn to the rind as a food source, but then stay there when the air begins to warm from the sun coming out.  The idea is that you then inspect the traps early in the AM and should find them covered with critters.

I happened to go through a bunch of oranges recently and had about 50 or so perfect hemispherical valencia orange rinds to use for traps.  Tomorrow is another early morning for me, cross your fingers I find rinds clogged with pill.... things (crustaceans?) and earwigs

No comments: