Thursday, February 03, 2011

Spinach Crystals

New spinach leaves have these great crsytal-like particles all over their leaves.  I've checked and they aren't insects so I'm not concerned.  I'm becoming more and more of a macro photography fan, it's so fun to capture details with so much resolution.

The light bouncing off the wet dirt and making the leaves glow translucent is nice too.  I think I like this photo!


see those holes in the bed on the bottom right?
Bad Dog!!
Moved my new bench into the farm area where I put it right to work potting-up my tomatoes.  I've got to admit that there is something so right about standing in the yard at the bench, hands caked in dirt and mud, dog walking around smelling and peeing on stuff, sun going low behind the trees and just..... relaxing.  I don't do that very often.

Ran out of containers to plant up to and decided that 1 gal. was too big anyways.  As an experiment I devised a simple partition of cardboard to split the volume into 4 equal(ish) sections.  The roots can shoot deep which is what I'm mostly concerned about.  Physically isolating the roots should make transplanting less stressful due to reduced root damage separating the plants.


Old cardboard, razor and a sharpie






No comments: