Sunday, February 13, 2011

More Beds

I need to get some seeds in the ground and I need them in the sun!  Problem is, most of my beds are spoken for and the ones that are free are not receiving enough sun yet.  The solution was to dig up more grass and add more beds.  I had some hire help on this one because it's a ton of work and I wanted it done in one day.

Alberto and I worked as a team on the screen to break up the sod and remove the mesh backing.  The sod was pretty dry which makes it considerably less work as the dirt doesn't cling together as much.

The North side (where the rake is) will be a corn bed this spring/summer.  The long East-West bed will be beans and tomato.

Even with the additional help it took 5 hours to get the beds completed.
Like the other beds, it's a mix of existing soil, the soil from
the sod, Bumper Crop amendment and coffee grounds.
Good for nothing...
The largest of the new beds with coffee ground top
dressing.

No comments: