Monday, February 28, 2011

Maiden Farms


It may seem strange to some that I've actually imagined my gardening/farming experiment turning into more than a hobby, maybe even a way to make a living some day.  I'm not suggesting that I think it's likely to happen or even that it's a good idea, only that I have thought about it here or there.  Of course when I think about producing food beyond my own consumption needs and entertain the idea of participating in farmers markers, etc. a whole new set of issues and concerns arise.

  • Obtaining a business license
  • Accounting and managing costs, especially for tax purposes
  • Marketing and branding
  • Certifications for market participation
  • And many other smaller things
  • Notifying customers of harvest time (twitter, email subscriptions, etc.)
I'm already researching accounting solutions to help me manage my farm-related finances and several online tools  will fit the bill just fine.  Months ago I came up with the name "Maiden Farms" for my business name - inspired by my all time favorite band Iron Maiden I felt that a name derived from something completely non-agricultural was appropriate considering my own history and path leading up to this point.  And I like the font.

So this is it, my announcement of my company name and preview of my logo.  It could be that in 12 months this is nothing more than another one of my "Oh god, remember when you were all into farming and thought you were going to sell produce!  Hahaha, that was so Steve... you're such a weirdo" stories....

Or!...

It could just be that I'm still doing it and loving it.  Either way, I felt it was time to give my fantasy and experiment an identity

No comments: