Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Pallet Potting Bench

I've been wanting a "potting bench" outside, near my beds.  I'll use it to start seedlings, take notes, pot-up or transplant, etc.  I'm a big fan of using pallets to construct stuff.  In the past I've always used them as they are, never bothering to modify them for what I need.  That changes with my most recent project.  I took a break from coding for an hour Today and banged out my bench.

Start with these

Do a bunch of this

*Some planning, measuring and cutting and you have
*It's 6' long so I had to use some existing scrap wood for the 6' rails.  SOOooo it's not ALL pallet, but damn close.

Tips on working with pallets:
  • Pallet wood is typically really crummy, split, cracked and beat up wood - but that's where the great look comes from.  Special care needs to be taken when working with wood like this, if you aren't careful you will split this stuff just for looking at it wrong.
  • Drill pilot holes before nailing
  • Never use screws - the tapered head acts as a splitting wedge
  • When prying boards off the frame, alternate from side to side and work the board up SLOWLY - once you get it about 1/2" up, smack it down which will usually leave the nail heads exposed for easy removal

No comments: