Saturday, February 05, 2011

Half Speed

What $187.62 looks like. Kids take note: BRASS hose
fittings, corona WOOD handle shears, RUBBER garden
hose.  Don't cheap out, it's not worth it.
I should have just stayed in bed Today, at least that's how I felt mid afternoon.  Had one of those days where my brain never woke up and I was moving at half speed, making mistakes and generally not executing very well on my plans.  Although I was retarded (hey, wait a minute!  It's completely appropriate for me to use that word in this context) I did still get some things done.  Started the day with coffee and bagels with Sarah before she took care of her own business. Then off to Home Depot to get supplies and bumped in to my good buddy Chris (who just bought a house around the corner)  We were cracking up because we're such "home owners", up early "buying supplies" rather than nursing a level 4 (fatal to a small child or animal) hangover or trying to figure out how to get OUT of Mexico.  Not that we don't still have fun...

Just out of frame is my To-Do list which proved quite ambitious for someone as retarded as myself.  Top of the list was to tap into my 3/4" water supply that runs around the perimeter and install a new spigot for Southern water access.  I'm a competent plumber, I re-piped my own house, relocated my hot water heater from interior to exterior, etc.  I never thought a simple spigot drop would be a challenge.  But then again I didn't take into consideration my retarded state.  First sub-assembly was a 4' section of 1/2" copper with a street el to 1/2" NPT female end.  The other end had a brass 90°  again NPT to take the ball valve.  Simple.  After sweating the last piece on I realized I paid NO attention to the orientation of the fittings, so instead of have the two 90° oriented the same way they were off on this weird 34.362° angle.  Back to the mapp, get the solder flowing and rotate the piece.  Wipe it down, done.  Nope, 180° in the wrong direction (retarded).  Repeat previous process of heating, rotating and cooling and I finally have my finished assembly.  This should have been my sign to go back to bed, or watch a movie or sleep or anything but try to accomplish something meaningful.

Persistence pays off!  I struggled on and finally finished the job.  After this I cleaned up a bit, did a bit of weeding (that's the right pace!) and gave some attention to the compost.  Another of my items on my list was to install a dedicated hose for my compost area and I've already put it to good use.

Shredded some shrub cuttings, picked up dog poop, cut some new suckers of the orange trees, cleaned up nails from the pallet-bench project and then finally called it a day.  I'm now in the office, another to-do list insight however this one contains only programming and process design items.  This should be good.

No comments: