Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Plenty O' Trellis'

Despite it's appearance, this is actually fresh fruit
trimmings, the dark specs are coffee grinds that were
mixed in.

Picked up my first batch of produce waste from John at Edible Arrangements.  When I got home I decided to use it in the compost tumbler to try and finish off a batch of compost that has been a real challenge.  I chopped it up with the shovel and tossed it in there.  Fingers crossed.  If it goes like I hope it does the temp should be up in the 130-150 range in a couple days.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I've been looking to add some worms to my beds to expedite things, I mean... I'm confident they will show up eventually, but I just don't want to wait.  I went so far as to post a want ad on craigslist for local worms.  Really you shouldn't think that so weird; people farm worms for bait, they are worm farmers.
"My buddy Harry and I are gonna open a pet shop."
"Well that's nice..."
"I got worms."
"I beg your pardon??"
"That's what we're gonna call it, we're gonna specialize in selling worm farms, you know like ant farms except..."
Mostly "red wigglers" which aren't ideal but better
than nothing
That's an easy one and I know Vinessa will get it but bonus points are of course available.

Back on topic: So I struck out with the CL ad and then Today I was digging around in my raised bed and hot damn what'ya know!  Worms, TONS of them, so many in fact I started harvesting them and in about 20 minutes I'd say I had a 150 or so.  I opened up my raised bed (the news ones that need worms) and dumped them in.  A beneficial side effect is that I basically cultivated the entire raised bed!  Win-win.




No comments: