Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Complacency

I've noticed a spike in evidence of leaf chomping lately, it seems that just about everything is being chewed on a little.  I feel guilty because I know, deep down inside my procrastinating little heart that I'm responsible; I've become complacent and eased my assault on the SLUG!  Sure enough a quick night hunt (I'm just back, exhausted and refreshing with some Stoli on the rocks) was productive, easily I bagged 10+ slimy little bastards, may their souls rot in hell for all eternity.

A day without learning is a day wasted - I just made that up and while not terribly profound or original I do like the sound of it and it's how I live my life.  With that said, I noticed I have the no-longer-so-cute "rollie-pollie" (Armadillidiidae - "Sow Bug", "Pill Bug") bugs ALL OVER THE PLACE, in fact next to the Boxelder I'd say the pill bugs are the second highest population in my garden microcosm.  I did a bit of research and while not typically considered a pest, they are of very little value.  Furthermore they can, in Southern regions and in large quantities (like mine!) be destructive to plants and eat live plants in addition to decaying organic material.  Pill bugs are now being considered for my kill list.  Stay cool boxelder, keep doing your thing, stay away from my garden and we're fine.

I'm also noticing aphids all over stuff.  Of course I'm using organic methods which means I can't just start spraying poison all over the place like I'd like to.  I've consulted my books and the guidance is varied with "increasing beneficial insects" as the most common theme.  Id' love to! - but it's not easy to get lacewings, lady bugs, assassin beetls, etc. to show up and stick around.  I'll be buying some flowering shrubs and annuals to hopefully attract them.  The second most common suggestion seems to be using a strong stream of water to blast them off.  I'll try everything and hit them with the full assault.

No comments: