Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spinach and Onions

My latest crop of spinach is starting nicely and I mixed in some green bunching onions in between the rows.  I've learned that rows, the way I've been using them, are not efficient use of space.  I'm looking towards "banding" or grouping to better utilize my limited space.

I was disappointed to find that the shredded leaves that I integrated into the two large East-West beds are untouched by worms and do not appear to have decomposed at all.  Disappointed because I need to plant in those beds soon and I'm afraid that he active decomposition (assuming it starts, god!) will throw things off.  To make matters worse, my buckwheat cover crop will be turned in soon and that will create a nice composting situation right there in my bed.  Great.
/sarcasm

No comments: