Monday, December 27, 2010

Slugs, DIE!

Sigh....
Slugs are devouring my young vegetables.  I've been observing the damage for a couple weeks now but for some inexplicable reason I have done nothing about it.  I thought about doing something, but I think about a lot of things so that doesn't really mean much.  One possible explanation is that due to my adoption of organic gardening methods I can't use the usual snail poison I have used in the past.  In fact yeah, that is the reason for my inaction.

The other night I did a little research on organic methods to kill slugs (and snails) and came across this great site. I had already used the copper tape method on the underside of my raised bed cap and it works PERFECT - never had a single slug in there that I know of. The copper option won't work on ground beds though so I used some of the other techniques mentioned.  The beer traps are my favorite of the suggestions because it's so simple and I always have stale beer I can use.  I also liked the ammonia idea that is further down in the comment section, but I need to read up if that is in any way considered an organic solution, I doubt it is.

I had been saving my Coffee Bean coffee cups for the trap containers and then I bought (cause I'm actually out of normal beer due to a cold) a twelver of "Natty Light" (uck!) to kill snails with; actually appropriate in some ways and should work as long as slugs don't have good taste.

I'll post some pictures of them installed once I get around to it, need to get over this cold first.

No comments: