Monday, March 28, 2011

Mulch Madness!

See that title?  See how clever I am??

Busy work(day job) day, not much farm action.  The mulch on the carrots and beets is working perfectly, you can definitely see the difference in the darkness of the dirt where it's wet around the mulch.  I planted a long band of onions in the West 50% of EW5 on the North end which I'm hoping will reduce the shading on plants on either side. In the East end of that bed I had previously planted alternating North-South rows of spinach and onions and later realized that the onions will most likely shade out the spinach a bit as the sun heads for it's Westerly home.  This time with the onions planted as a backdrop to the spinach there should be plenty of sun to go around.

No photos Today but I caught Chui eating Japanese Beetle Grub Carcasses (When I find em' I step on em' and they "pop" with a stream of guts shooting through the air.  Good fun!)  Anyways, he eats them which isn't surprising considering dogs also like to eat cat poo ("Cookies" I've heard them called) and then later, after I'm deep asleep and in the middle of a Zombie nightmare, typically about 3am I'll wake to his dry-heaving sounds as he is about to barf.  I leap from bed while conjuring up my best "good dog" sweet voice calling him to follow and SPRINT (negotiating several 90degree corners on varying surface materials) to the back door, all in the hope he'll finally yack outside.

I didn't realize until writing with such detail (and pleasure) about my grub murdering that.... this is Karma; Chui barfs and ruins my night because I kill grubs.

No comments: