Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mystery bug identified as Boxelder

I have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of these small black beetles with red markings and red eyes all over my yard.  If you stop and look in one place for a few seconds you will see 10 or more crawling around.  I've never considered them a pest, they don't seem to chew on plants, in fact all they ever seem to do is mate constantly.

I finally did some searching Today and identified it as a Boxelder (boisea trivittatis).  Apparently they are not much cause for concern; they don't bite, they are pretty mellow (as you can see with the one crawling on my hand) and they don't harm any of the plants that I have.  So as far as I'm concerned they can keep cruising around and humping away in my yard - I don't mind them.

This site is a great source for boxelder bug information.

No comments: