Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sowing, Transplanting and First Harvest!

new carrot rows between existing rows.  I'm hoping that the
existing ones don't shade out the new seedlings.  An even
bigger worry is the liquid amber that's budding new leaves
and may shade everything out.  Chainsaw.
Spent a couple hours Today before I head off to the gun show to sow some additional cool crops:

  • 2 more rows of each carrot, sown between the existing rows after reading and getting the impression that I had spaced my rows too wide
  • 5 more rows of beets directly sown between the existing beets and carrots
  • transplanted ~20 each of Tatsoi, Escarole and Endive in the North end of SW1 bed
Part of the transplanting to SW1 was removal of existing plants, it was primarily Collards which I learned I don't much care for.  No tears for the Collards.

I couldn't really figure out the best way to remove the plugs from the cell sheet.  I ended up pushing up the bottom to release the contents, then squeezing the side like you would an otter pop.  Another method I tried was to push the bottom with my finger while gently pulling up by some of the leaves.

Loosened the roots and dropped em' in place then a good long drink and I'm done.  I like direct sowing much better, transplanting takes a long time and feels like double work.

I'm also sending out my first harvest notification because I realized I have a bit more than I can eat right now.  Still MUCH less than I intended to get up to, but just enough for one or two people to come get salad stuff.

Available stuff:
  • Smooth leaf spinach
  • Savoyed leaf spinach
  • Baby beet greens
  • Baby Swiss Chard ("Bright Lights") Greens
  • Tiny bit of Arugula
  • Regular Chard (lots of bug holes)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love your blog! kim told me about this at her baby shower.. :) looks like you're having fun!! ~tani

Scuba Steve said...

Tani! Cool, glad you like it and it's always nice to know people are actually reading it. ;)