Monday, January 24, 2011

Round 2 Emergence & Sad Seedlings

Decided to let the kids get a little air Today so I popped open my windows and set them out for some AM sun.  I've been hardening them off here and there on the weekends when I'm around, Today was the first time I left them out without being home.  They grow up so fast!...

Came home to another shipment from Johnny's, this one containing my corn, bean, carrot and pepper seeds as well as some larger organic pots and a small harvesting knife.

I checked on my latest round of seedlings and was happy to see that quite a few more have emerged.  It's no doubt that the heat pads have sped things up considerably.  I'm now facing the same problem of light requirements; do I purchase another light fixture or do I move the round 1 seedlings outdoors during the day?  Eeeek...

After moving my seedlings back in from their sunny and breezy perch I noticed my beets were bummed out, just lying there on their sides.  The leaves were perky but their stems don't seem up to the task.  I've noticed this with several of my seedlings, the beets exhibiting the most problems.  It's not from wind, I know that.  The only thing I can think is that they weren't sown deep enough or maybe early on when I watered I disturbed the seeds and/or caused them to "float" up a bit in the soil?  I've asked on GardeWeb.com for some advice.

This is particularly salty for me as I've come to really enjoy beets and beet greens lately.  "Don't you go dying on me!" <- Bonus points for the person that knows that movie (don't use Google!)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dumb & Dumber to the sweet old lady that he asked to watch his stuff while he goes to break a dollar... Duh!

Scuba Steve said...

"I guess it's true what they; senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel CAN still serve a purpose."

Scuba Steve said...

BTW, Vinessa wins the bonus (I don't know what that is yet) for correctly guessing:
Dumb and Dumber - Arguably one of the best movies ever created, ever

Unknown said...

"I didn't even see it coming!"

Hmmm.... what would be a great bonus prize?? Umm, Lola's would be nice!!