Tuesday, June 21, 2011

PumpkaMelon

Baby Bear pumpkin - this is the kind for eatin'
Transplanted my "Baby Bear" and "Jack-O-Lantern" pumpkins along with my various watermelon seedlings into the new "tomato beds".  Did some brief research and it sounds like the main thing is to not disturb the roots too much when transplanting - I took extra special care and only broke up the bunch when necessary.  Fed the transplants with some Neptune's Harvest to get them off to a good start.

The plan is that these vining plants will grow at the feet of the tomato plants they share the bed with.  The tomatoes are North of the pumpkin, watermelon and cantaloupe and as such they shouldn't shade them out.  Combine that with the heavy pruning and eventual plant to keep a 20" branch-free space on the tomatoes and I think these new transplants will receive plenty of light.


watermelon transplants
Duck Update
The ducks are rad, they crack me up!  "Tweak" (temporary name for the neurotic Pekin) is eagerly eating out my hand finally, even though he stops to scream at me and spits the food he was in the process of eating.  I've been putting them outdoors in a small pen, letting them forage in the web grass, soak in their water bowl, see other animals, smell smells - just basically be animals.  I move the pen each day so that they are fertilizing multiple areas of the grass that will soon be their entire run.  I plant to make their short (24") fence out of recycled pallets - more on that later.


Zucchini makes Chui very nervous, VERY nervous!

1 comment:

Sarah M. Paton said...

I think Chui is adorable when nervous :)