Saturday, February 04, 2012

Plumbing Time-Kill

I had a good list Today, lots of different things but the pipe fix ended up taking 3-4 times longer than expected.  First I had to head out to the store to buy more glue.  Once I got back I made quick work of the broken pipe.  Turned on the irrigation zone to test and what do you know, the hole filled up with water!  I know how to assemble and repair PVC, so I was confident that my repair was solid.  I baled out the water and had Vinessa turn the valve on so I could watch what happened: Another, big break in a branch line that I didn't see before due to low pressure.


All my previous work down the toilet, I cut out the repair and began digging away to access the newly discovered breach.  Of course it was right up against a Tee so I had to really cut things back and clear a larger area.  I'm getting low on 3/4" couplers now and dreading another trip to the store.




Real ugly, but it doesn't leak
After laying everything out I was short about 1/2" on the lateral patch line so I had to sort of push everything out of plane to close up the joints.  I drove a stake down to ensure that things stay put, once the dirt is backfilled it'll be fine.  And like I said, I'm bad ass on PVC repairs and those joints aren't going to slip.




Vinessa came over to "work" and by work she sat on her butt and read.  It's cool though, always nice to have the company and she DID help with the sprinkler valve and DID make a food run.  I put up the 6' chicken wire in the new bed for the peas, dumped the compost out of the compost tumbler (that thing doesn't work) and shredded Pam's giant sunflower.  Oh, and I planted about 50 snow peas in the new bed as well.



No comments: