Thursday, February 02, 2012

More Sowing, Buying and Maintenance

Although I haven't written in a few days I have been putting in my customary ~1 hour a day of farm work.  Today I sowed my third succession planting of Red Cardinal, this completes the NS2 bed and already has me thinking about where I can plant more.  Red Cardinal spinach is by far my favorite crop I've grown and I can't wait to stop buying baby spinach at the store and instead go back to harvesting my home grown stuff.

Snap pea seedlings. Nice straight rows, yep!
 My snap peas that I direct sowed into EW3 look absolutely incredible, probably ended up with 95% germination!  My rows are crooked as all hell though and now that the seedlings are peeking up it's actually quite embarrassing.  All 3 of my corn crops have emerged and look pretty good, the weed screen mulch trick works great.  I also sowed another round of the same carrots Yesterday.



Finally I fired up irrigation zone #7 which has spur lines running to several large pots in the yard and saw a stream of water shoot up about 10' in the air.  Shit, another broken pipe.  This won't be easy to get to, it's deep and the soil near it is clay and a real PITA to work in.  Gotta fix though, not really worth complaining or thinking too much about.  My compost pile is cooking right around 154°F and has been there for 3-4 days, that's a good sign, this pile should finish quickly.  I've started to stockpile browns and greens to be used as browns in the future.  See, in winter you don't have enough greens, but with all the leaves on the ground you have plenty of browns, in summer the problem is the opposite.

No comments: