Sunday, July 03, 2011

Tomato Watch - Day 4

Another hot one Today, hovered around 90 for 4-5 hours.  The soil in the EW2 bed was much more dry than I would have expected considering the thorough soaking I gave it Yesterday.  It could be that the soil in those beds just plain doesn't hold moisture very well, maybe there is too much organic material and not enough "dirt"?  - I watered again...

I've found the limit on how long guardsman bunching onions can be in the ground - the "skin" (they are hollow tubes... what would you call it?!) is starting to decay a little, not rot, but just break down a bit.  They still taste great, just don't look as nice.

Did some regular landscape work Today.  Removed some overgrown bushes, fixed sprinkler issues, trimmed some plants, etc.  While I was programming the irrigation timer I bumped the trip duration on the vegetables from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.

When these reach about 12" or so I will plow the space between the rows to mound onto the stalks while also
creating a furrow for flood watering (easier to fertilize)


This pile is ready for the shredder then the compost pile
it was a HUGE lantana and salvia "hot lips" - both planted
in my front yard.
Planted fortex seeds in the corn mounds (not pictured) and then fertilized all corn with urine fertilizer diluted ~1:8.  It was actually this planting process that made me question the water retention properties of the raised beds.  The soil in the corn mounds is un-amended "dirt" from another part of my yard.  I'm sure its deficient in nutrients and more susceptible to compaction and all the other negatives but it WAS wet when I cultivated it Today.  At least it holds water.

Severely pruned an old geranium that had been beat down by some
worms. Not sure if it will survive, or even be worth keeping after this...

No comments: