Saturday, July 02, 2011

Tomato Watch - Day 3

Nearly 90 Today, feels like summer finally arrived.  Had a mixed day of farm work, misc. house work and relaxing.  Split the chipper apart to sharpen the main blade and replace some missing hardware (kind of troubling that hardware would be missing considering the speed the impeller spins at!).  Ducks were hot but nothing 2-3 minutes of spray from the hose didn't fix.
Tomatoes seemed to like the heat, it's probably in my head they sure look greener to me.  I probed around with my moisture meter and concluded that I may be UNDER-WATERING everything.  I went ahead and gave all the beds a real deep watering this morning, should hold them for the following days but I'll check the soil moisture to verify.

I'm a big fan of the Fortex pole beans so far.  They are vigorous growers, haven't had any pest issues and are pushing beans all over the place.  I will be starting some more on my new corn I've got going, sort of a 2/3 of the 3 sisters.

Tomorrow I'll be removing some bushes in my front yard and running through the chipper for the compost.  I also plan on giving the compost some much needed attention, it seems to have stalled out.  Been collecting pee to fertilize the new corn I've got started.

According to supplier, the pods will reach 7-11"

No comments: