Sunday, December 26, 2010

Additions to the raised bed

I've had great success with the spinach and red leaf lettuce in my raised bed so I figured I'd add some more plants to increase my harvest for salads.  I'm on a salad kick right now so the more spinach, chard, arugula and lettuce I have the better.  The soil in the raised bed is awesome, I wish my other ground beds were as healthy.  I turned in 4-5 bags of leaves and other green waste two years ago and it's made a substantial difference, the soil is crawling with worms, drains well and has this great loamy texture.

In the middle row I added 4 more spinach and two chards.  The two plants on the bottom right are cabbage.  On the ledge of the planter you can see the strawberry pot (with a lettuce on top as well) and the rosemary plant my friend Sarah gave me for Christmas.  In the far background is the huge pile of tree trimmings that I need to shred for compost.

No comments: