Friday, November 12, 2010

Shredder Rebuild

Parts back from the powder coater, engine in the background
Funny, one of my first posts on this blog back in 2005 was about my Craftsman Chipper/Shredder that I purchased to aid my composting efforts.  The shredder worked great for years and even was even leant (a word?) out a couple times to help others with their yard projects.

Well about 3 years ago I left the machine out for the winter completely unprotected, in the rain, cold and wind.  The result of course was that it rusted out and fell into a terrible condition.  It wouldn't start and when I finally did get it running the blades had rusted so bad they had become dull and wouldn't cut.  It was a total waste, the machine was useless.

Lots of specialty hardware and pins - well worth the cost
to have it re-plated
Ah, but about 3 months ago I was itching for a project and spied the chipper, decided it needed to be rebuilt and immediately began taking it apart!  Like all my projects it grew in scope, cost and complexity, when the dust finally settled and my wallet cooled off I had ended up doing the following:

  • 100% disassembly of the tool excluding the engine
  • Had the parts chemical and oven stripped ($175)
  • Replaced broken misc. parts (~$75)
  • Had all sheet metal pieces powder coated caterpillar yellow ($150)
  • Had all hardware zinc plated ($35)
  • Engine tuned up and serviced ($50)
It was worth it though, I had two rewarding and relaxing evenings in the garage drinking beer and assembling everything and I've already logged 30+ hours shredding away materials for my compost pile.  This time I'll take better care of it though.

Beautiful!  I had to replace the nylocks
because the over strip destroyed the nylon

No comments: