Saturday, November 20, 2010

Formal Separation

The separation of suburban manicured lawn and home farming is complete!  With tons of generous help from my Dad the fence is complete.

It represents a physical separation from the "nice" part of my yard and my farm area, it also sets a mental tone once you walk past it, as if you've truly entered a different place - this is what I was going for.


I will admit that I was not paying attention while setting the posts and as a result they are not equidistant from one another, by the time this was noticed the concrete had been set for days so there was no correcting the mistake.

The wire mesh is sandwiched between the posts and rails, I did it this way so that you could get a foothold to climb the fence and have a seat.  It also further secures the mesh.

I'm drawing a blank on the name of the screws that were used; they could be best described as between a lag bolt and a Deck Mate screw.  They are incredibly strong and even managed to bog down the Milwaukee Hole Shooter drill motor!  Each time my Dad drove one in and it really pulled tight he would let out satisfactory  "ah-HA!"

In the photo you can see just a bit of the custom hinge work that allows the gate to swing both ways while also being close to the post.  This was a real challenge and the key was moving the pivot point in from the edge of the gate.  Inspiration for this customization came from a door on display at Ganahl Lumber.

Drawing of the pivot location
relative to the post and gate

No comments: