Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Melon Success

I think I mentioned at some point that I had volunteer cantaloupe and water melons growing, I dunno, I can't remember.  But I do and after researching a bit I was confident the cantaloupes were ready to be harvested. I only had 3-4 that weren't rotten or undersized so I grabbed the closest one, took it inside and cut it up.  Holy crap, really good!  Very crisp with a mild flavor that intensified as the fruit cooled off (I picked them around noon on a 104° day).  Next day it was much sweeter and I later heard from friends and family that it was some of the best they've had.

So the plant that I don't actually grow on purpose, give no water to for the first 8 weeks of it's life and generally ignore turns out to be one of the best things to come out of the garden. - god hates me, or maybe he's trying to teach me something?  No, he hates me.
My adorable nieces in the background

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog and pictures! That melon looks delicious. Curious if you left it out or put in the fridge? 104 degrees outside in September wow, how is the temperature in your home? I do not think god hates you, ever think maybe melons need less tlc than the rest? Just a thought. Great read, thanks!

Want a unique and personalized flower delivery service? Then you need flower delivery service Erie PA!