Thursday, August 02, 2012

Amendment experiment

Bag-an-a-half of steer manure blend before being
cultivated into the soil
I pulled my 2nd failed corn crop yesterday and sent the stalks to the compost heap.  I'm narrowing down my cause of failure and at this point I think it's a combination of insufficient water and nitrogen - shocking, the two things corn needs the most.  With the area cleared I amended with two bags of Steer Manure Blend (HD no longer sells straight manure, at least not by me and Pam just dumped her chicken manure in the compost).  Worked the manure blend (manure and compost) into the top 3" of soil and leveled out, then dragged some shallow furrows to set seeds and planted away.  Four rows 18" apart with 6" seed spacing that will be thinned to 12" spacing.  Irrigation is now working well and the area should get plenty of moisture.  I'll talk to Pam and try to get the next bucket of chicken shit worked into the corn field.

This is one of the better looking tomatoes of the
suffering bunch, I'm experimenting to see if the
problem is nutrients/soil fertility
While I was at it I amended the  mounds that held the tomatoes that Seanna planted when she was here.  As soon as the poor guys hit the dirt they started to yellow and wilt.  After observing for a few days and monitoring soil moisture I can only assume it's a soil fertility problem.  Added manure and deep watered with seaweed extract.  The next few days will tell the tale.

While I was in the sowing mode I dropped some zuccini and summer squash seeds into EW4, just a rough job as this is about the absolute latest you can start those guys.  If it works it works, if not then no big deal as the seed will be shot by next summer anyway.








I can't believe how fast the Red Noodle pole beans have emerged!  I'm not sure, but I think I sowed those seeds last Sunday with Ben and they emerged by Tuesday - 3 days, that's awesome.  Wednesday I will succession sow another set of bush and pole beans, then again 10 days after that.

No comments: