Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 2 - part deux

The Nebo pass summit (the road, not the mountains in
the background) at 9,240 ft
As promised, here is the second installment (actually posted on the 30th).  So the day turned out great, I was driving up the 15 through central Utah and I started getting worried that I didn't really know where I was going, I also wanted a more remote experience than I had the previous night.  Long story short I stopped at a state park and talked to the super cute (but too young) Utah DNR park employee.  She seemed nervous (tattoos? - I dunno) but managed to give me some good info.  While looking at a map on the wall I saw an interesting looking route from Nephi to Payson - AKA "The Nebo Loop" (click link for map).  I talked to another DNY employee who knew the route very well and told me I had to check it out.

I found a great campsite - well, not a campsite but a place to camp, in fact I think I was camping illegally but figured I'd please ignorant if a forest service ranger came by.  The site was this grassy meadow with tree coverage on 3 sides and drenched in sunlight when I found it.  It was a no-brainer - I veered off the highway, dropped down a slope and half slid on the grass into my position.  Cracked open my pabst 24oz tall-boy and spent too long stacking rocks under the tires to level my truck.

Once that was done I spent 2 hours cutting and splitting firewood (worked off the beer).  Chui had a blast exploring the surrounding woods and eating junk he found on the ground.  He barfed later, then ate it.  Please note my raging OCD induced stacking of firewood by diameter!

It's almost 9 o'clock and still that light out...

No comments: